Tuesday, May 17, 2022

Psalm Meditation 1144 ¶Sixth Sunday of Easter ¶May 22, 2022 ¶Psalm 4 1 Answer me when I call, O God of my right! You gave me room when I was in distress. Be gracious to me, and hear my prayer. 2 How long, you people, shall my honor suffer shame? How long will you love vain words and seek after lies? Selah 3 But know that the LORD has set apart the faithful for himself; the LORD hears when I call to him. 4 When you are disturbed, do not sin; ponder it on your beds, and be silent. Selah 5 Offer right sacrifices, and put your trust in the LORD. 6 There are many who say, “O that we might see some good! Let the light of your face shine on us, O LORD!” 7 You have put gladness in my heart more than when their grain and wine abound. 8 I will both lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O LORD, make me lie down in safety. (NRSV) ¶There is something good and fun about eating and drinking to excess. It seems such a good idea at the time, to take in all the goodness that a particular celebration has to offer. As we fall deeper and deeper into the hole of excess, the consequences seem to matter less and less. It is all just fun and games for the time being. It is only after the fact, when the consequences of our actions rear their ugly head, that we realize that the fun of food and drink does not last. ¶The psalmist prefers the gladness that comes from being in a relationship with God. It is difficult, to be sure, however it does not weigh us down the way eating and drinking do. Faithfulness in relation to God leads to a gladness that is more about being fulfilled than merely being filled. Being in the presence of God gives us a sense of wholeness that a life of excess can only pretend to give. ¶Being aware of the presence of God in and around us gives us a sense of peace that nothing else can give. To know that we are heard and held when nothing seems to be going our way is a great source of comfort and peace. The fleeting nature of the gladness brought about by excess food and drink cannot compare to a relationship with God. “I will both lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O LORD, make me lie down in safety.” ¶May 17, 2022 ¶LCM

No comments:

Post a Comment