Thursday, May 12, 2022

Psalm Meditation 1143 ¶Fifth Sunday of Easter ¶May 15, 2022 ¶Psalm 27 1 The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? 2 When evildoers assail me to devour my flesh—my adversaries and foes—they shall stumble and fall. 3 Though an army encamp against me, my heart shall not fear; though war rise up against me, yet I will be confident. 4 One thing I asked of the LORD, that will I seek after: to live in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to inquire in his temple. 5 For he will hide me in his shelter in the day of trouble; he will conceal me under the cover of his tent; he will set me high on a rock. 6 Now my head is lifted up above my enemies all around me, and I will offer in his tent sacrifices with shouts of joy; I will sing and make melody to the LORD. 7 Hear, O LORD, when I cry aloud, be gracious to me and answer me! 8 “Come,” my heart says, “seek his face!” Your face, LORD, do I seek. 9 Do not hide your face from me. Do not turn your servant away in anger, you who have been my help. Do not cast me off, do not forsake me, O God of my salvation! 10 If my father and mother forsake me, the LORD will take me up. 11 Teach me your way, O LORD, and lead me on a level path because of my enemies. 12 Do not give me up to the will of my adversaries, for false witnesses have risen against me, and they are breathing out violence. 13 I believe that I shall see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living. 14 Wait for the LORD; be strong, and let your heart take courage; wait for the LORD! (NRSV) ¶Does God’s protection and shelter actually keep us from going through difficult times, keep us from experiencing grief, pain, loss, etc.? That has not been my experience of God. I know people who claim that God can, will, and does keep them from all suffering and loss. And all is well with them until they go through a rough patch. At the first sign of suffering these folks are either going to move to a deeper experience of God or abandon God all together, ‘since he can’t even keep me from suffering like he promised.’ ¶Many of us experience the protection and sheltering of God as keeping us from despair in the face of suffering, loss, and tragedy. Yes, we will go through the valley of the shadow of death, on the fringes or the depths. We may face actual, physical adversaries, or spiritual, mental, emotional conflicts. During those times we will know that God is with us, holding our hearts and lives in steadfast love and care. The events will not change, however we will not be alone as we go through the storms and trials that are a part of life. ¶God chooses to be with us, to abide (take up residence) with us. In every trial and adversity, the temptation is to give up and fall into depression and despair. We feel as if we have been abandoned and left to fend for ourselves. The presence of God allows us to know that we are not alone, that we are not suffering on our own. The presence of God shines a light into the darkness of our lives, giving us a new, deeper and stronger hope that moves us closer to God. “Wait for the LORD; be strong, and let your heart take courage; wait for the LORD!” ¶May 12, 2022 ¶LCM

No comments:

Post a Comment