Monday, September 29, 2014

Psalm Meditation 746
World Communion Sunday
October 5, 2014

Psalm 61
1 Hear my cry, O God; listen to my prayer.
2 From the end of the earth I call to you, when my heart is faint. Lead me to the rock that is higher than I;
3 for you are my refuge, a strong tower against the enemy.
4 Let me abide in your tent forever, find refuge under the shelter of your wings. Selah
5 For you, O God, have heard my vows; you have given me the heritage of those who fear your name.
6 Prolong the life of the king; may his years endure to all generations!
7 May he be enthroned forever before God; appoint steadfast love and faithfulness to watch over him!
8 So I will always sing praises to your name, as I pay my vows day after day.
(NRSV)

Some of the traits we inherit come through our DNA. Other traits come from the example that is set for us by the people around whom we grow up. Some folks learn the lessons of violence and abuse, some learn that wealth and power trump all other attributes, some learn the habits of serving others, just to name a few. As we are raised in one environment or another we learn to live as life is modeled for us. In many cases we learn how to act and in some cases we learn how we do not want to be when we grow up.

The psalmist is able to celebrate having been raised among folks whose example led to a relationship with God, even in this particular time of trial. We don’t know the details, we only know that the psalmist feels pushed to the end of the earth, to the outer reaches of where human life exists. At this edge of the world the psalmist knows that God is present and is able to lead from here to a place of strength and stability. In many instances simply knowing that we are in the presence of God makes a situation seem less daunting even as the danger remains the same.

Abiding in God’s tent, sheltering under the wings of God, we find a security that is not available any other place. There is great comfort in knowing we are not alone in any time and place. To know that we are in the presence of God is greater comfort still. As we experience ourselves in the presence of God we join our hearts and voices with the psalmist, “I will always sing praises to your name...”

September 29, 2014
LCM

No comments:

Post a Comment