Monday, September 22, 2014

Psalm Meditation 745
Sixteenth Sunday of Ordinary Time
September 28, 2014

Psalm 111
1 Praise the LORD! I will give thanks to the LORD with my whole heart, in the company of the upright, in the congregation.
2 Great are the works of the LORD, studied by all who delight in them.
3 Full of honor and majesty is his work, and his righteousness endures forever.
4 He has gained renown by his wonderful deeds; the LORD is gracious and merciful.
5 He provides food for those who fear him; he is ever mindful of his covenant.
6 He has shown his people the power of his works, in giving them the heritage of the nations.
7 The works of his hands are faithful and just; all his precepts are trustworthy.
8 They are established forever and ever, to be performed with faithfulness and uprightness.
9 He sent redemption to his people; he has commanded his covenant forever. Holy and awesome is his name.
10 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom; all those who practice it have a good understanding. His praise endures forever.
(NRSV)

There are folks of whom I have been afraid at various times in my life: parents of some of my friends, teachers and professors, bosses, colleagues, church members and total strangers. In many of these cases I have overcome the initial fear and made lasting relationships with these folks. In others I found out too late that there were interesting aspects to these people that would have made for great relationships, if only I had made the effort to overcome my fears. All that to say that it is time for us to stop being afraid of God by the usual definition of fear.

I have had folks tell me their concerns while also saying it is too small a thing to bring to God in prayer. My relationship with these people is such that they can let me know what troubles them even as they are afraid to bother God with such a small thing. I don’t remember saying to them, ‘yes, that is a small thing and I wonder why you even bothered me with it.’ I am more likely to quote John Wesley, one of the founders of the Methodist movement, “If it is worth worrying about, it is worth praying about.” The love God has for us extends to the most trivial of our concerns for our lives and the lives of those around us.

A better understanding of ’The fear of the LORD’ is to be in awe, to be amazed that one who is responsible for such works of honor and majesty also wants to have a personal relationship with each of us. This kind of fear draws us in and puts us at ease calming many of the other fears that we bring with us into the presence of God. It is as if the most famous person you would ever want to meet asks to spend time with you alone. It is intimidating and exhilarating all in the same moment. God wants to be invited into our circle. When we open ourselves to God we find that we open ourselves to wisdom and understanding, as well as to people and experiences beyond our current expectations.

September 22, 2014
LCM

No comments:

Post a Comment