Thursday, April 7, 2022

Psalm Meditation 1138 ¶Palm/Passion Sunday ¶April 10, 2022 ¶Psalm 2 1 Why do the nations conspire, and the peoples plot in vain? 2 The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the LORD and his anointed, saying, 3 “Let us burst their bonds asunder, and cast their cords from us.” 4 He who sits in the heavens laughs; the LORD has them in derision. 5 Then he will speak to them in his wrath, and terrify them in his fury, saying, 6 “I have set my king on Zion, my holy hill.” 7 I will tell of the decree of the LORD: He said to me, “You are my son; today I have begotten you. 8 Ask of me, and I will make the nations your heritage, and the ends of the earth your possession. 9 You shall break them with a rod of iron, and dash them in pieces like a potter’s vessel.” 10 Now therefore, O kings, be wise; be warned, O rulers of the earth. 11 Serve the LORD with fear, with trembling 12 kiss his feet, or he will be angry, and you will perish in the way; for his wrath is quickly kindled. Happy are all who take refuge in him. (NRSV) ¶I remember being very upset when I learned that the United States is not the largest country in the world. Having been taught that we are the best/grandest nation, we must also be the biggest. Knowing this about myself makes me wonder how many other nations tell their citizens that their nation is the best/grandest in the world. That the psalmist knows that the rulers of the surrounding nations want to be free of the bonds and cords imposed on them by Israel leads me to believe that the indoctrination is widespread. Especially since one of my seminary professors informed us that Israel was never much of a military power. ¶Whether we are strong or weak, rich or poor, big or small it is a good plan to look to YHWH for help and direction. Though the psalmist knows that God is on our side and will crush all of our enemies, that is seeing God as one of us, one like us, with the same friends and enemies that we have. God does not choose sides in our petty squabbles over ‘stuff.’ God encourages us to love each other, to look for ways to care for one another, and to move in the direction that leads us closer to God. ¶While we are quick to find ways to justify God being on our side over against those with whom we disagree, God does not work that way. We are called and led to serve God by serving each other. Watching our enemies be broken into tiny little pieces is a great revenge/punishment fantasy, but that is all it is if we expect God to do that for us. In serving God we are called to serve those we love as well as those who seem unlovable. “Happy are all who take refuge in him.” ¶March 7, 2022 ¶LCM

No comments:

Post a Comment