Monday, October 25, 2021

Psalm Meditation 1115 ¶ Proper 26 ¶October 31, 2021 ¶Psalm 23 1 The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. 2 He makes me lie down in green pastures; he leads me beside still waters; 3 he restores my soul. He leads me in right paths for his name’s sake. 4 Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I fear no evil; for you are with me; your rod and your staff—they comfort me. 5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. 6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord my whole life long. (NRSV) ¶When under attack by enemies, we are not likely to focus on who else is around. We get this tunnel vision that zooms in on the recognized threat and ignores all other input. We miss any hidden threats as well as any allies who were not present at the beginning of this particular event. We feel lost, abandoned, and isolated. ¶The psalmist assures us that God is with us. A figurative table of comfort foods is set before us as a reminder that this enemy threat is not the last word. Win or lose, God is with us providing a comforting, non-anxious presence as an alternative to our fear and anxiety in the presence of our enemies. ¶Making the time to feel and relish the presence of God gives us an awareness that we are not alone, that we are loved and cared for in this and every situation of our lives. Win or lose, stand or fall, we are open to the comfort and restoration of God’s abiding presence in our lives. “Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord my whole life long.” ¶October 25, 2021 ¶LCM

No comments:

Post a Comment