Monday, May 17, 2021

Psalm Meditation 1092 Pentecost May 23, 2021 Psalm 119:129-144 129 Your decrees are wonderful; therefore my soul keeps them. 130 The unfolding of your words gives light; it imparts understanding to the simple. 131 With open mouth I pant, because I long for your commandments. 132 Turn to me and be gracious to me, as is your custom toward those who love your name. 133 Keep my steps steady according to your promise, and never let iniquity have dominion over me. 134 Redeem me from human oppression, that I may keep your precepts. 135 Make your face shine upon your servant, and teach me your statutes. 136 My eyes shed streams of tears because your law is not kept. 137 You are righteous, O Lord, and your judgments are right. 138 You have appointed your decrees in righteousness and in all faithfulness. 139 My zeal consumes me because my foes forget your words. 140 Your promise is well tried, and your servant loves it. 141 I am small and despised, yet I do not forget your precepts. 142 Your righteousness is an everlasting righteousness, and your law is the truth. 143 Trouble and anguish have come upon me, but your commandments are my delight. 144 Your decrees are righteous forever; give me understanding that I may live. (NRSV) Write each letter of the alphabet eight times down a column. Using those letters as a guide, write a celebration of the law of God for each letter you have written. If you feel especially creative, write it as a poem. This is the outline of Psalm 119. There are 22 letters in the Hebrew alphabet which means there are 176 verses of the psalm. With the 26 letters of the English alphabet there would be 208 verses. Some groupings would be more difficult than others. The important part is celebrating God’s law. Many of us think that the law is for everyone else and that it is more a suggestion for us. We have extenuating circumstances that require us to push past any law from time to time in order to meet our need of the moment. Celebrating the law of God is a good exercise. It reminds us that law is not oppressive. At its best, as well as our best, the law of God is permission giving. ‘Here is the outside limit, other than that you are free to do what seems good to you.’ “Be on your best behavior; be home by midnight.” As long as we follow these simple rules we are free to have an enjoyable evening. If we find a way to justify skirting one of the rules there will be consequences. The consequence may be as simple as losing a privilege or as devastating as contributing to a lasting injury for ourselves or another. God is not an ogre, making rules for the sake of having rules. God loves us and wants us to be safe, to keep others safe, and to be able to enjoy our life together. “The unfolding of your words gives light; it imparts understanding to the simple.” May 17, 2021 LCM lcrsmanifold@att.net http://psalmmeditations.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment