Monday, October 30, 2017

Psalm Meditation 907
All Saints Sunday
November 5, 2017

Psalm 75
1 We give thanks to you, O God; we give thanks; your name is near. People tell of your wondrous deeds.
2 At the set time that I appoint I will judge with equity.
3 When the earth totters, with all its inhabitants, it is I who keep its pillars steady. Selah
4 I say to the boastful, “Do not boast,” and to the wicked, “Do not lift up your horn;
5 do not lift up your horn on high, or speak with insolent neck.”
6 For not from the east or from the west and not from the wilderness comes lifting up;
7 but it is God who executes judgment, putting down one and lifting up another.
8 For in the hand of the LORD there is a cup with foaming wine, well mixed; he will pour a draught from it, and all the wicked of the earth shall drain it down to the dregs.
9 But I will rejoice forever; I will sing praises to the God of Jacob.
10 All the horns of the wicked I will cut off, but the horns of the righteous shall be exalted.
(NRSV)

As we participate in arguments based in religious doctrine and practice we are quick to judge those with whom we disagree. People on every side are willing to cast insults at those in opposing camps. We may be accurate in our assessments without them being helpful. We have drawn our battle lines, formed our alliances, and gathered our arsenals of weapons and ammunition to volley back and forth among ourselves. We have demonized and dehumanized our opponents and enemies to make it easier to do battle against ’them.’

Through it all we each know that God is on the side of right and goodness and justice; you know, ‘my side.’ I have watched myself go ballistic on people at the first hint of a long standing disagreement, even if the fireworks are only internal. I shut out their arguments without even hearing them anymore, just as I assume they do to me. “God and I are right and the rest of you are wrong. You will stand in the presence of God to drink the foaming/poison wine while I stand by and watch.” If only we could be so sure.

Our history proves that all sides have faults and flaws in argument and practice. We hate some people with a stunning self-righteousness and exploit others with amazing condescension. Likely as not we each hold a piece of the truth. Once the flame dies down to ash we will discover that the flame has refined a nugget of truth from our respective arguments. We will also find that God has a word of judgment for those on every side. Each of us will be required to stand before God to drink the foaming wine in order to kill off that which is belligerent and evil within us. We will continue to burn hot with controversy on every side as God watches over this human family with a mix of pride and sadness.

October 30, 2017
LCM

No comments:

Post a Comment