Monday, January 2, 2017

Psalm Meditation 864
Baptism of the Lord
January 8, 2016

Psalm 62
1 For God alone my soul waits in silence; from him comes my salvation.
2 He alone is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall never be shaken
3 How long will you assail a person, will you batter your victim, all of you, as you would a leaning wall, a tottering fence?
4 Their only plan is to bring down a person of prominence. They take pleasure in falsehood; they bless with their mouths, but inwardly they curse. Selah.
5 For God alone my soul waits in silence, for my hope is from him.
6 He alone is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be shaken.
7 On God rests my deliverance and my honor; my mighty rock, my refuge is in God.
8 Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your heart before him; God is a refuge for us. Selah
9 Those of low estate are but a breath, those of high estate are a delusion; in the balances they go up; they are together lighter than a breath.
10 Put no confidence in extortion, and set no vain hopes on robbery; if riches increase, do not set your heart on them.
11 Once God has spoken; twice have I heard this: that power belongs to God,
12 and steadfast love belongs to you, O Lord. For you repay to all according to their work.
(NRSV)

As our lot in life improves there is a tendency to let our religious life lose some of its energy. As we can afford to meet our own needs we find a relationship with God less important than keeping our financial house intact and in order. There are people who can have money and a relationship with God at the same time, because they have made God a priority in their lives. Money and other resources are a means of supporting their relationship with God rather than a separate pursuit.

The psalmist knows that there are those who pursue wealth and prominence as ends in themselves. They will lie, cheat, and steal in order to achieve their goal of fame and fortune. Even though that kind of glory does not last and takes more energy than it ever returns, some people continue to chase the dream of having more than enough money and influence. And people discover that whatever they possess and control is not enough, there is always the desire for more.

The psalmist calls us to pursue a relationship with God rather than riches. We will discover that we are content in knowing God. As is the case with every relationship, a relationship with God takes focus and energy to sustain. At the same time we realize that we get at least as much out of it as we put into it. We find ourselves looking forward to the next steps together and we look for ways to doing what we can to help those who have a place in the heart of God.

January 2, 2016
LCM

No comments:

Post a Comment