Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Psalm Meditation 844
Proper 16
August 21, 2016

Psalm 6
1 O LORD, do not rebuke me in your anger, or discipline me in your wrath.
2 Be gracious to me, O LORD, for I am languishing; O LORD, heal me, for my bones are shaking with terror.
3 My soul also is struck with terror, while you, O LORD—how long?
4 Turn, O LORD, save my life; deliver me for the sake of your steadfast love.
5 For in death there is no remembrance of you; in Sheol who can give you praise?
6 I am weary with my moaning; every night I flood my bed with tears; I drench my couch with my weeping.
7 My eyes waste away because of grief; they grow weak because of all my foes.
8 Depart from me, all you workers of evil, for the LORD has heard the sound of my weeping.
9 The LORD has heard my supplication; the LORD accepts my prayer.
10 All my enemies shall be ashamed and struck with terror; they shall turn back, and in a moment be put to shame.
(NRSV)

One of the most memorable statements I have heard about God is, “If God can’t handle your anger, then why do you have it?” It has freed me to yell at God, to vent my anger, to things off my chest in a way that is more helpful than hurtful. Instead of throwing things like dishes or punches we can stand up and rail against God for the seeming unfairness of the life we are living and the lives of those around us. The psalmist is also free to complain to God about an illness or other calamity of life.

A seminary classmate reminded us, in a discussion of the psalms, that not all of our enemies are other people. Especially in a time in which disease and illness was thought to be caused by evil spirits and demons, enemies lurked in seen and unseen spaces of our lives. The issue is not who it is acting in the psalmist’s life so much as why God has not stepped in to end the situation at hand. Grief and pain, whatever the cause, is a drain on body, mind and spirit. If only God would step in everything would be alright and the psalmist could return to the worship and praise of God.

Finally, the psalmist realizes that God has heard this prayer for relief and it will come. In God’s good time something will happen that will put an end to this suffering and all will be well with the psalmist. We too receive the assurance that God has heard us and is at work in our lives. Whether we have lashed out in anger or used a calmer tone we will know that God is with us in some way.

August 16, 2016
LCM

No comments:

Post a Comment