Monday, March 30, 2015

Psalm Meditation 772
Easter
April 5, 2015

Psalm 16
1 Protect me, O God, for in you I take refuge.
2 I say to the LORD, “You are my Lord; I have no good apart from you.”
3 As for the holy ones in the land, they are the noble, in whom is all my delight.
4 Those who choose another god multiply their sorrows; their drink offerings of blood I will not pour out or take their names upon my lips.
5 The LORD is my chosen portion and my cup; you hold my lot.
6 The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; I have a goodly heritage.
7 I bless the LORD who gives me counsel; in the night also my heart instructs me.
8 I keep the LORD always before me; because he is at my right hand, I shall not be moved.
9 Therefore my heart is glad, and my soul rejoices; my body also rests secure.
10 For you do not give me up to Sheol, or let your faithful one see the Pit.
11 You show me the path of life. In your presence there is fullness of joy; in your right hand are pleasures forevermore.
(NRSV)

Imagine what life would be if we never suffered, never went through trials, not even an injury or an argument. We wish for lives like that when we are in the midst of suffering, however to spend a whole life without a worry, care or injury seems to be a pretty boring way to get through our lives. I hope that when we ask God for protection it is not from every little hurt, slight or injury. Most of us learn more by the consequences or our actions then we do by the words of those around us. Not to suffer means no consequences and no growth.

Somewhere between no suffering and monumental trials is where most of us live out our lives. At every point along that bell curve there are those who turn to God and those who don’t. It seems that those who turn to God get through life with less stress and anxiety because we know we are not alone. As we build a relationship with God we find ourselves building relationships with other people who also look to God for help and hope.

Some folks see God as the one who delivers us from suffering while others see God as being with us, standing alongside us as we go through the suffering that seems to be a part of life. Either way we know that God is with us. We know that the people of God are with us. We know that whether we are delivered from suffering or are companioned through our suffering we are in the presence of God who is a source of rejoicing and rest.

March 30, 2015
LCM

No comments:

Post a Comment