Monday, December 9, 2013

Psalm Meditation 704
Third Sunday of Advent
December 15, 2013

Psalm 54
1 Save me, O God, by your name, and vindicate me by your might.
2 Hear my prayer, O God; give ear to the words of my mouth.
3 For the insolent have risen against me, the ruthless seek my life; they do not set God before them. Selah
4 But surely, God is my helper; the Lord is the upholder of my life.
5 He will repay my enemies for their evil. In your faithfulness, put an end to them.
6 With a freewill offering I will sacrifice to you; I will give thanks to your name, O LORD, for it is good.
7 For he has delivered me from every trouble, and my eye has looked in triumph on my enemies.
(NRSV)

Insolent, ruthless enemies can be identifiable as specific groups or persons who are out to get us for any number of reasons. Those same enemies can rise up within us and make our lives just as miserable, if not more, as those from outside. From wherever the threat comes it can wear on us, grind on us and bring us to our knees.

No matter the locale of our particular enemies, God is with us as we rise against those forces that have taken us down. Some are willing to say that God will take down our enemies and remove them far from us. Others see the presence of God, knowing we are not alone, as sufficient. The rest of us are caught between wanting God to take away our enemies and wanting God to stand with us as we face them ourselves.

Whether our enemies are interior or exterior, whether God stands for us or with us, it is good to know that God is with us. We can give joyful thanks for the presence of God in our lives.

December 9, 2013
LCM

No comments:

Post a Comment