Monday, February 18, 2013

Psalm Meditation 662
Second Sunday in Lent
February 24, 2013

Psalm 27
1 The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?
2 When evildoers assail me to devour my flesh— my adversaries and foes— they shall stumble and fall.
3 Though an army encamp against me, my heart shall not fear; though war rise up against me, yet I will be confident.
4 One thing I asked of the LORD, that will I seek after: to live in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to inquire in his temple.
5 For he will hide me in his shelter in the day of trouble; he will conceal me under the cover of his tent; he will set me high on a rock.
6 Now my head is lifted up above my enemies all around me, and I will offer in his tent sacrifices with shouts of joy; I will sing and make melody to the LORD.
7 Hear, O LORD, when I cry aloud, be gracious to me and answer me!
8 "Come," my heart says, "seek his face!" Your face, LORD, do I seek.
9 Do not hide your face from me. Do not turn your servant away in anger, you who have been my help. Do not cast me off, do not forsake me, O God of my salvation!
10 If my father and mother forsake me, the LORD will take me up.
11 Teach me your way, O LORD, and lead me on a level path because of my enemies.
12 Do not give me up to the will of my adversaries, for false witnesses have risen against me, and they are breathing out violence.
13 I believe that I shall see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living.
14 Wait for the LORD; be strong, and let your heart take courage; wait for the LORD!
(NRSV)

On more than one occasion I have failed to speak out or act concerning a statement or act that I knew was not right. What kept me from doing what I knew was right in the situation? I was afraid. Afraid that any number of things might happen, including physical harm from the person I was confronting. Rather than being controlled by my convictions, I was controlled by my fear. And then I read this psalm and am reminded that what God thinks of me is more important than what others think.

I have friends and colleagues who have walked into armed camps, both literally and figuratively, to speak and act on their convictions as people of God. My guess is that they are wise enough to be afraid and strong enough in their convictions to have walked in to speak their piece in spite of the fear. For them, it seems to have worked out, since the ones who come to mind are actively engaged in ministry.

Other folks I know are not as likely to walk into armed camps, however they do not shy away from working diligently to point people toward lives of justice and compassion. Their relentless efforts to care for the needs of people as individuals as well as groups continue to advance the work and will of God in the world.

While one group of folks walks into the middle of the conflict and another works gently and persuasively on the fringes, they are doing the work to which God calls them. Each of us responds to God’s call with the gifts we have at the time. Some will be courageous crusaders for what they see as right, while others will be less visible and no less effective in moving folks in the direction God calls us.

February 18, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment