Monday, September 24, 2012

Psalm Meditation 641
Eighteenth Sunday of Ordinary Time
September 30, 2012

Psalm 142
1 With my voice I cry to the Lord; with my voice I make supplication to the Lord.
2 I pour out my complaint before him; I tell my trouble before him.
3 When my spirit is faint, you know my way. In the path where I walk they have hidden a trap for me.
4 Look on my right hand and see— there is no one who takes notice of me; no refuge remains to me; no one cares for me.
5 I cry to you, O Lord; I say, "You are my refuge, my portion in the land of the living."
6 Give heed to my cry, for I am brought very low. Save me from my persecutors, for they are too strong for me.
7 Bring me out of prison, so that I may give thanks to your name. The righteous will surround me, for you will deal bountifully with me. (NRSV)

Wouldn’t it be wonderful if we could simply walk away from our troubles, come back later and find that everything is resolved to our liking? Sadly, it doesn’t happen that way. There are places, people and processes that allow us the opportunity to step back and see our lives from a different perspective, if only for a moment. This refuge does not take our problems away. It offers us a bit of shelter from the storms of life as they rage around us.

The psalmist looks around and sees no one who cares. This doesn’t mean that there is no one; it means there is a momentary inability to see the folks who do care. This doesn’t mean they aren’t there. I wish I were naïve enough to believe that everyone has a way to feel safe and sheltered in time of trial, however I know that is not the case. For those who are reading this, it is my hope that we are aware that God and the people of God are available as a source of refuge for us.

God is with us in all times and places. We may not feel that presence, we may not be comforted by that presence, however God is with us as a source of refuge and strength in times of trial and trouble. As we are able to feel that presence as a source of help and hope we are able to join the psalmist in giving thanks to God for all the ways we are touched by God and the people of God.

September 24, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment