Monday, March 5, 2012

Psalm Meditation 612
Third Sunday in Lent
March 11, 2012

Psalm 17
1 Hear a just cause, O Lord; attend to my cry; give ear to my prayer from lips free of deceit.
2 From you let my vindication come; let your eyes see the right.
3 If you try my heart, if you visit me by night, if you test me, you will find no wickedness in me; my mouth does not transgress.
4 As for what others do, by the word of your lips I have avoided the ways of the violent.
5 My steps have held fast to your paths; my feet have not slipped.
6 I call upon you, for you will answer me, O God; incline your ear to me, hear my words.
7 Wondrously show your steadfast love, O savior of those who seek refuge from their adversaries at your right hand.
8 Guard me as the apple of the eye; hide me in the shadow of your wings,
9 from the wicked who despoil me, my deadly enemies who surround me.
10 They close their hearts to pity; with their mouths they speak arrogantly.
11 They track me down; now they surround me; they set their eyes to cast me to the ground.
12 They are like a lion eager to tear, like a young lion lurking in ambush.
13 Rise up, O Lord, confront them, overthrow them! By your sword deliver my life from the wicked,
14 from mortals—by your hand, O Lord— from mortals whose portion in life is in this world. May their bellies be filled with what you have stored up for them; may their children have more than enough; may they leave something over to their little ones.
15 As for me, I shall behold your face in righteousness; when I awake I shall be satisfied, beholding your likeness.
(NRSV)

Even those among us who are prone to second guessing themselves believe they are right about the most important things in their lives. Those among us with more confidence in themselves are more likely yet to believe they are right in their actions and beliefs. It seems to be the way we work as humans. If we did not think we were right we would change our minds and change our course of action to get ourselves back on track. That does not mean we are right as often as we believe ourselves to be.

The psalmist is confident in having chosen the path that leads closer to God. The folks on the other side of this confrontation are mean and vicious, and are out to kill and destroy those who follow the ways of God. It is probably true that the psalmist is the one being bullied by folks who follow a different path. Folks who also believe themselves to be right in their course of action. The pursuers seek to run the psalmist to the ground. The psalmist waits for God to rain down vengeance on these folks and on their children. Now what?

Most of us will not persist in a course of action we are sure is wrong. We may change our words without changing our minds. We may find a way to reframe the question so it sounds like we have been right all along. We may make a big show of changing our minds, having received a new revelation. We may repent, apologize to those we have hurt and move on secure in this new truth. My guess is that we have each done all of these at some time. God continues to seek us out, love us with a love beyond measure and move us a bit closer to being a loving child of God, surrounded by loving children of God.

© March 5, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment