Monday, October 24, 2011

Psalm Meditation 593
Twentieth Sunday of Ordinary Time
October 30, 2010

Psalm 43
1 Vindicate me, O God, and defend my cause against an ungodly people; from those who are deceitful and unjust deliver me!
2 For you are the God in whom I take refuge; why have you cast me off? Why must I walk about mournfully because of the oppression of the enemy?
3 O send out your light and your truth; let them lead me; let them bring me to your holy hill and to your dwelling.
4 Then I will go to the altar of God, to God my exceeding joy; and I will praise you with the harp, O God, my God.
5 Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you disquieted within me? Hope in God; for I shall again praise him, my help and my God.
(NRSV)

Psalms are most helpful when we can identify with the psalmist. When we are able to recognize that God is with us even when we are not able to experience that presence in a given moment. It serves as a reminder that, bleak as a situation might be, we are still and always in the presence of God. When we can see that we are not the first to experience this feeling of abandonment it allows us the option of seeing that we may not be the only one feeling abandoned. We may even be able to raise our heads high enough to see one with whom we can share our trial and our conviction of the presence of God.

Psalms are most convicting when we can identify with the group against which the psalmist complains. When this psalm makes us catch our breath as we realize that we are guilty of deception and injustice toward others and ourselves. We suddenly see in ourselves the lies we have told and believed in order to achieve and justify our place in the world. When we see that we have rationalized and even institutionalized injustice we turn to God in gratitude for not treating us as we deserve for our actions.

On either side of the psalm we can take refuge in God. As we identify with the need of the psalmist we are reminded of the presence of God whether we are aware of that presence or not. We begin to reclaim the peace that God offers to us as people, children, of God. As we are convicted by the psalmist we turn to God to shield us from and turn us from the evil in which we have become complicit. We allow ourselves to reclaim God’s call to justice and righteousness over and above our desire for personal gain.

As we turn to God together we find ourselves renewed in hope for ourselves and others. We also find ourselves drawn to those on the other side of the psalm who can help us and teach us what it means to re-commit ourselves to the ever present God of justice. We join in praise with all people who turn to God for any reason.

© October 24, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment