Monday, August 8, 2011

Psalm Meditation 582
Ninth Sunday of Ordinary Time
August 14, 2011

Psalm 11
1 In the LORD I take refuge; how can you say to me, "Flee like a bird to the mountains;
2 for look, the wicked bend the bow, they have fitted their arrow to the string, to shoot in the dark at the upright in heart.
3 If the foundations are destroyed, what can the righteous do?"
4 The LORD is in his holy temple; the Lord's throne is in heaven. His eyes behold, his gaze examines humankind.
5 The LORD tests the righteous and the wicked, and his soul hates the lover of violence.
6 On the wicked he will rain coals of fire and sulfur; a scorching wind shall be the portion of their cup.
7 For the LORD is righteous; he loves righteous deeds; the upright shall behold his face.
(NRSV)

In my junior high years my friend Jeff and I walked away from a youth group event at the city park and headed for my house. It was dark and we failed to tell anyone that we were leaving. So, we were in all sorts of trouble no matter what happened to us. At one point in our journey Jeff told me that he was not afraid because he was with me. He figured no one would bother us because I was so big. I told him that I was not afraid because I knew how tough he was. I figured he could protect me if there was any trouble. It was unnerving to discover that the one I was counting on to protect me was counting on me to protect him. It was also energizing to know that he trusted me.

If two junior high school aged boys can find strength in each other’s presence it is easy to see how the psalmist can find strength in the presence of God. While others are in a panic over the presence of evil forces coming against them in the darkness, the psalmist leans a little closer to the presence of God. The LORD, Yahweh, combines the characteristics Jeff and I saw in each other. God has the size to intimidate and overwhelm any enemy and the strength and toughness to overcome those who are not daunted by size. The psalmist reminds us to put our trust in God no matter how big the forces arrayed against us.

When we have chosen to be on the side of God we have a hope beyond this life. As we place our trust and hope in God we open ourselves to the gift God gives to those who are righteous. We will stand in the presence of and behold the face of God. “For the LORD is righteous; he loves righteous deeds; the upright shall behold his face”

August 8, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment