Monday, June 6, 2011

Psalm Meditation 573
Pentecost
June 12, 2011

Psalm 39
1 I said, "I will guard my ways that I may not sin with my tongue; I will keep a muzzle on my mouth as long as the wicked are in my presence."
2 I was silent and still; I held my peace to no avail; my distress grew worse,
3 my heart became hot within me. While I mused, the fire burned; then I spoke with my tongue:
4 "LORD, let me know my end, and what is the measure of my days; let me know how fleeting my life is.
5 You have made my days a few handbreadths, and my lifetime is as nothing in your sight. Surely everyone stands as a mere breath. Selah
6 Surely everyone goes about like a shadow. Surely for nothing they are in turmoil; they heap up, and do not know who will gather.
7 "And now, O Lord, what do I wait for? My hope is in you.
8 Deliver me from all my transgressions. Do not make me the scorn of the fool.
9 I am silent; I do not open my mouth, for it is you who have done it.
10 Remove your stroke from me; I am worn down by the blows of your hand.
11 "You chastise mortals in punishment for sin, consuming like a moth what is dear to them; surely everyone is a mere breath. Selah
12 "Hear my prayer, O LORD, and give ear to my cry; do not hold your peace at my tears. For I am your passing guest, an alien, like all my forebears.
13 Turn your gaze away from me, that I may smile again, before I depart and am no more."
(NRSV)

There are times in which talking, especially complaining, simply makes things worse. Once something is said out loud it can be exploited by anyone who wants to add to our misfortune. Once folks know a particular weakness they can poke and prod in that spot until we are completely broken. The psalmist knows not to say anything to other people about what is going on and yet things continue to get worse. Even the comfort of God seems to be withheld from the psalmist. Then it becomes obvious that God is the source of this particular distress and the psalmist falls silent once again.

I, for one, am grateful that our understanding of God has changed from one who punishes on a whim to one who is with us in good times as well as in bad times. God asks us to learn something when things go badly for us but God does not cause bad things to happen to us. Since we live with the consequences of our choices, as well as the choices of those around us we can more easily call on God as a source of ever-present comfort in times of suffering.

Whether God is the cause of our suffering or an ever present source of comfort in the face of suffering we can join the psalmist in turning to God in times of suffering. The psalmist turns to God with a request for peace, knowing that it is important to be in a positive relationship with God in order to have an abundant life. We know that the relationship with God is the source of abundant life as we go through various challenges and opportunities. The important part is the awareness that God is with us, no matter what.

June 6, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment