Monday, December 6, 2010

Psalm Meditation 547
Third Sunday of Advent
December 12, 2010

Psalm 4
1 Answer me when I call, O God of my right! You gave me room when I was in distress. Be gracious to me, and hear my prayer.
2 How long, you people, shall my honor suffer shame? How long will you love vain words, and seek after lies? Selah
3 But know that the LORD has set apart the faithful for himself; the LORD hears when I call to him.
4 When you are disturbed, do not sin; ponder it on your beds, and be silent. Selah
5 Offer right sacrifices, and put your trust in the LORD.
6 There are many who say, "O that we might see some good! Let the light of your face shine on us, O LORD!"
7 You have put gladness in my heart more than when their grain and wine abound.
8 I will both lie down and sleep in peace; for you alone, O LORD, make me lie down in safety.
(NRSV)

It has been several years since I have been to a party where folks have had way too much to drink and provided much of the entertainment by their alcohol fueled antics. Those parties are much more memorable to the folks who are not participating in the drinking and the silliness that goes with it. The gladness of the evening is more than offset by the price one pays the next day from the headache and the blow to one’s reputation. It may be better to be known as a funny drunk than as a mean drunk, however one is still known as a drunk either way.

It has not been that long since I have been to a party in which folks were all committed Christians and church people. I have had just as much, if not more, fun and all the participants could remember what happened and had much less for which to be embarrassed in the morning. The gladness of the evening was a genuine joy in each other’s company brought about by the common love of God and participation in the community of faith. The psalmist celebrates the gladness of heart that comes from being wholly/holy in the presence of God.

To live out of a relationship with God is to have a sense of peace in our lives. Faithful people will have regrets, however I believe those regrets will be fewer and less severe than for those driven by relationships other than with God and the people around them. Relationships with people last longer and are more fulfilling than those based on anything else. While, “There are many who say, "O that we might see some good! Let the light of your face shine on us, O LORD!"“ those who have a relationship with God are most likely to actually see good and notice the light of God’s face shining on us. That presence gives us something to share with others who are looking for a meaningful sense of gladness.

December 6, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment