Monday, September 27, 2010

Psalm Meditation 537
Nineteenth Sunday of Ordinary Time
October 3, 2010

Psalm 2
1 Why do the nations conspire, and the peoples plot in vain?
2 The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the LORD and his anointed, saying,
3 "Let us burst their bonds asunder, and cast their cords from us."
4 He who sits in the heavens laughs; the LORD has them in derision.
5 Then he will speak to them in his wrath, and terrify them in his fury, saying,
6 "I have set my king on Zion, my holy hill."
7 I will tell of the decree of the LORD: He said to me, "You are my son; today I have begotten you.
8 Ask of me, and I will make the nations your heritage, and the ends of the earth your possession.
9 You shall break them with a rod of iron, and dash them in pieces like a potter's vessel."
10 Now therefore, O kings, be wise; be warned, O rulers of the earth.
11 Serve the LORD with fear, with trembling
12 kiss his feet, or he will be angry, and you will perish in the way; for his wrath is quickly kindled. Happy are all who take refuge in him.
(NRSV)

There is some war time bravado in this psalm. Some of the nations who have been conquered by Israel are plotting a rebellion and the psalmist lets them know that they are not simply rising against a king and nation, they are rising against the God of all creation as well. And Yahweh laughs at these other kings because they have no idea of the scope of power that is behind the king of Israel. God has placed the king on the throne and it would be foolish for anyone to attempt to go against the will of God in this matter.

I see this as war time bravado because I know from personal experience how easy it is to go against the will of God. I hear that voice in my head that some call conscience and that others recognize as the voice of God, and I still do what I had planned to do. So at least in individual instances it is possible to thwart the will of God and we do so on a regular basis.

At the same time, I know that God is infinitely patient and adaptable. When someone acts outside the will of God someone else is living in such a way that God is brought to bear on the situation in a new way. Since going against God’s will is based more in my own selfishness than in an intentional thwarting of God’s will I am able to live out God’s will for me in another set of circumstances. God continues to gather us into a divine embrace even as we wander off to do our own thing.

It is God’s desire and intent to love us and guide us in ways that lead us to a sense of joy and fulfillment in the presence of God and in the company of others who have chosen to follow the way that leads to refuge, peace and justice.

© September 27, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment