Monday, May 3, 2010

Psalm Meditation 516
Sixth Sunday of Easter / Festival of the Christian Home
May 9, 2010

Psalm 73:1-17,25-28
1 Truly God is good to the upright, to those who are pure in heart.
2 But as for me, my feet had almost stumbled; my steps had nearly slipped.
3 For I was envious of the arrogant; I saw the prosperity of the wicked.
4 For they have no pain; their bodies are sound and sleek.
5 They are not in trouble as others are; they are not plagued like other people.
6 Therefore pride is their necklace; violence covers them like a garment.
7 Their eyes swell out with fatness; their hearts overflow with follies.
8 They scoff and speak with malice; loftily they threaten oppression.
9 They set their mouths against heaven, and their tongues range over the earth.
10 Therefore the people turn and praise them, and find no fault in them.
11 And they say, "How can God know? Is there knowledge in the Most High?"
12 Such are the wicked; always at ease, they increase in riches.
13 All in vain I have kept my heart clean and washed my hands in innocence.
14 For all day long I have been plagued, and am punished every morning.
15 If I had said, "I will talk on in this way," I would have been untrue to the circle of your children.
16 But when I thought how to understand this, it seemed to me a wearisome task,
17 until I went into the sanctuary of God; then I perceived their end.
25 Whom have I in heaven but you? And there is nothing on earth that I desire other than you.
26 My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.
27 Indeed, those who are far from you will perish; you put an end to those who are false to you.
28 But for me it is good to be near God; I have made the Lord GOD my refuge, to tell of all your works.
(NRSV)

In our fantasies many of us have more than enough money to do all the things we want to do and we have it all without sacrificing any part of who we currently are. The psalmist reminds us that the changes we will go through as we approach this fantasy begin with envy of those who have all the resources we would like to have for ourselves. In order to make fantasy reality we have to make choices and sacrifices other than the ones we make on a daily basis. We also have to put on a different set of blinders that keep us from seeing that the people we aspire to be also have pains and troubles even though they are very different from the ones with which we deal regularly.

No matter who we are and what we do there are things we do that are simply a part of who we are even though to others they seem to be amazing sacrifices. Many years ago I wished out loud that I had a million dollars. My father went through a brief list of worries, frets and fears that would be mine if I had that kind of money. I still think I would like to try it for awhile though it did make me aware that just because someone does not share my worries and concerns does not mean they have none. I do without millions so that I can enjoy the freedom from worrying about how to protect and preserve those millions.

As people of God we make choices with others in mind. We do without so that others are able to have a little. We go to worship even though there are other pressing matters, including the desire for rest and sleep that call to us as we get ready and go. We make choices that seem to be a waste of time and energy in order to make a difference in the life of folks unknown. We risk life and health because we have heard and responded to an invitation from God to serve others in some form as a way to be drawn ever nearer to God.

© May 3, 2010

2 comments:

  1. I believe you can make choices that create wealth and still not compromise your spiritual beliefs. This does take a strong set of values though. I believe our creator wants us to have both why wouldn’t they just as any parent would for their child?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark,
    you are correct. I know a few people who have both money and excellent spiritual lives. And I am guessing it takes a lot of effort to maintain both.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete