Monday, August 17, 2009

Psalm Meditation 479
Twelfth Sunday of Ordinary Time
August 23, 2009

Psalm 42
1 As a deer longs for flowing streams, so my soul longs for you, O God.
2 My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When shall I come and behold the face of God?
3 My tears have been my food day and night, while people say to me continually, "Where is your God?"
4 These things I remember, as I pour out my soul: how I went with the throng, and led them in procession to the house of God, with glad shouts and songs of thanksgiving, a multitude keeping festival.
5 Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you disquieted within me? Hope in God; for I shall again praise him, my help
6 and my God. My soul is cast down within me; therefore I remember you from the land of Jordan and of Hermon, from Mount Mizar.
7 Deep calls to deep at the thunder of your cataracts; all your waves and your billows have gone over me.
8 By day the LORD commands his steadfast love, and at night his song is with me, a prayer to the God of my life.
9 I say to God, my rock, "Why have you forgotten me? Why must I walk about mournfully because the enemy oppresses me?"
10 As with a deadly wound in my body, my adversaries taunt me, while they say to me continually, "Where is your God?"
11 Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you disquieted within me? Hope in God; for I shall again praise him, my help and my God.
(NRSV)

We long for something that is bigger than ourselves, something to remind us and assure us that there is more to this life than our own selfishness. Even the folks who convince themselves that there is no more to life than this brief time on earth gather up stuff so that they can prove to others they were here for a short time. Some of the folks who become very wealthy give money away so that their wealth can touch others and so that they can leave a legacy of help and hope after they are gone. Others simply hang on to their wealth so that they leave a monument to themselves. Whether our riches consist of material wealth or some other kind of richness we each make the same choices.

The psalmist shares the richness of a relationship with God, so that others will see the depth of possibility in a relationship with God. Those who know this relationship already can nod in agreement while those who are searching can see that what they seek is available and possible. We also discover that in the midst of a deep relationship with God it is possible to have moments of questioning and doubt. To realize that these doubts are not a sign of weakness so much as a part of the process we can be encouraged to let our doubts and questions lead us deeper rather than let them scare us away. We become a part of the long line of folks who share with others the richness of living into a relationship with God.

Which type of spiritual millionaire will we aspire to be; the one who shares wealth as a way to touch and encourage others or the one who hoards wealth so that it becomes a monument to our selfishness? We have this great gift available to us: the gift of a relationship with God. It is not a gift that can be taken from us. We choose to share it with others or we choose to give it up as times get tough. God is the source of our help and hope.

© August 17, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment