Monday, August 17, 2026
Psalm Meditation 1366
¶Proper 16
¶August 23, 2026
¶Psalm 90
¶https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=psalm%2090&version=NRSVUE
¶At least once in my life, my dad asked me to come up with my own punishment for a fairly serious misdeed on my part. I came up with what seemed a suitably harsh set of sanctions. Almost immediately, he rejected my plan and went on about his day. I, on the other hand, was left to fret over what other options there might be. It turns out that the only repercussions were the ones I placed on myself. Since I remember our exchange all these years later I am thinking that having me imagine a set of punishments only to be forgiven was much more effective than if I had actually had to do the things I thought seemed appropriate.
¶My guess is that the psalmist is dealing with a similar scenario between the nation and God. The people were aware that they had done something that required punishment, so they began to see everything through the filter of their own assumption of impending punishment. When anything happened that fit their idea of punishment, they received it as coming from God. After awhile they began to pray that God would once again treat them kindly and lovingly.
¶Since we can be vindictive and mean spirited, we tend to see God that way as well. Even though God spends a lot more energy telling us how loved we are, we tend to see God in the light of our expectation of punishment for any misdeed, be it big or small. So, God lets us stew in our own vindictiveness, even when it is directed at ourselves, until we are ready to be loved and cherished again. “Turn, O Lord! How long? Have compassion on your servants! Satisfy us in the morning with your steadfast love, so that we may rejoice and be glad all our days.”
¶August 17, 2026
¶LCM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment