Monday, April 19, 2010

Psalm Meditation 514
Fourth Sunday of Easter
April 25, 2010

Psalm 23
1 The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not want.
2 He makes me lie down in green pastures; he leads me beside still waters;
3 he restores my soul. He leads me in right paths for his name's sake.
4 Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I fear no evil; for you are with me; your rod and your staff-- they comfort me.
5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the LORD my whole life long.
(NRSV)

It is always tempting to believe that because this psalm is brief we know what it says without having to read it every time. While we may know the words it is likely that the meaning and depth of those words changes with each time we read them. The psalm seems to include a number of ways we relate to God. As our mood changes, as we grow closer to or move father away from God we find new meaning in these brief verses.

God provides for us, leads us, restores us, protects us, walks with us, comforts us. Much of what we have come to expect from God is in these few verses. As we read it or call it to mind in a time of trial we will find that the word, phrase or concept that jumps out is the one that speaks to our need at the moment. God is with us and provides for us out of the rich store of gifts and resources available. More than anything God wants to be with us and wants us to desire the presence of God as a mutual gift between us.

I have both heard it and said it, the Bible is a mirror. We get out of it what we bring into it and God is there in each part of Scripture and our lives waiting to be discovered for the sake of a relationship.

© April 19, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment